I18NEdit - A tool for managing distributed internationalized Java-style resources
I18NEdit is a convenience application for managing multilingual and/or localized programs or tools following the Java framework. It sits upon the localization capabilities offered by the Java ResourceBundle system and offers a PHP adapter class. Its goals:
- Easy to use for developers and especially for translators.
- Seamless access to all ressources of a large program with lots of .properties files.
- Automatic detection of properties which must be edited in a certain target locale (due to changes in source locale).
- Property files can be edited outside I18NEdit without confusing it.
- Fully based on the basic localization framework around java.util.ResourceBundle, no further enhancements are needed.
- Presentation of all of the program's property files in a tree.
- Combination of all localizations of one property editable in one screen.
- No clobbering in the property files themselves.
- Additional tools for editing Unicode characters which are not available in the local input device environment.
- Im- and export features for distributed translating.
I18NEdit is especially useful in larger projects where developers and translators work at the same time, but apart from each other, on the same project. The developers can change or add properties in their development locale, I18NEdit keeps track of this and presents the translator only those properties for translations which have actually changed or which have been added.
More information and download
I18NEdit is hosted on SourceForge.net, the world's largest Open Source software development website. Grab it from there:
The source code can be downloaded through our public git archive:
- Repository via git protocol:
git clone git://publicgit.cantamen.de/i18nedit
- Repository via HTTP:
git clone http://publicgit.cantamen.de/i18nedit
- Web interface: http://publicgit.cantamen.de/?p=i18nedit
The web interface also allows to receive the source code without git ("snapshot" links in the overview on the right side).
License and Warranty
I18NEdit is covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL). I.e. you must not create a new product out of it which you are going to distribute without making the sources available. This does, hoever, not cover the license or anything of the things you work on with I18NEdit. This is similar to the GNU C compiler, which is also a GPL'd program and can be used in any type of project. In case of any doubt, the official documents from the FSF are authorative:
I18NEdit is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
I18NEdit is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with I18NEdit; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA